1. Introduction Sodium nitrite is a pale, straw-colored, granular or flake material that is soluble in water upon heating. It is stable in neutral or alkaline solutions, but decomposes in acid solutions to form unstable nitrous acid.
1. Product: Sodium Nitrite
2. CAS No: 7632-00-0
3. Molecular Formula: NaNO2
4. Molecular Weight: 68.99
2. Physical Properties: Physical state: solid Appearance: Odorless white to slightly yellowish crystalline powder Melting Point : 271 °C Stability: The product, stored in shaded area/ Go down, is stable at ambient temperature for five years Specific Gravity: 2.16 g/cm3
1)Dyes and Pigments : It is basic raw material for azo dyes and pigments. It is used for diazotization of amines
2) Agrochemicals & Pharmaceuticals : It is used as an intermediate for lot of A P I and Agrochemicals
3) Metallurgy & Heat Transfer : It is used as an accelerator in phosphating which is a major component in metal treatment in Automobile industry. Under the heat treatment is is used in combination with 45 % Sodium Nitrite along with Potassium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrate. These are used for quench hardening and tempering steel. This mixture is also used as heat transfer salt.
4) Rubber Chemicals : Used for manufacturing Di Nitroso Penta Methylene Tetra amine ( DNPT) a product used for manufacture of rubber based (Hawaii) foot wear.
5) Corrosion Inhibitor : The product is recommended as an additive for concrete and gypsum to inhibit corrosion of iron reinforcement